Monday, October 25, 2010

The Moment I Knew I Was An American

"The moment I knew I was an American...," when I hear that, I don't know what to think. I could say that I don't even think when I hear someone say that. Really, I don't know who is exactly an American and how one acts to fit in the category of being an American.
According to Crevecoeur, and American is a person of European descent and leaves behind all ancient prejudices and manners once they come to America. America is a melting pot in his opinion. But is this really true? I doubt it. I consider myself as an Asian American...but obviously, I have no European blood in me. More importantly, my family still carry on with our lives with Chinese traditions. With this being said, Crevecoeur's ideal definition of Americans is wrong.
Because I fit in neither one of Crevecoeur's description of an American, am I still an American? That's what I wonder all the time. Sometimes I think that understanding English and the history of our literature makes me an American. Other days, I think that eating hot dogs, pizza, and drinking Pepsi makes me American. To me, American or not, I don't really care. "American" is just a label, a name. I already have a name, and I know who I am...I don't need to be "classified" because sometimes I may just fit in multiple groups. (:

2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear someone doesn't acknowledge the labels everyone seems to be mentally distributing to others. And you're right, sometimes people fit in multiple groups, not just one :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy: Yes! I really think it's impossible for someone to be just a part of ONE group only...that would be too segregated for me to accept.

    Sam: In a way, yes. But, that's speaking on the surface level of things.

    ReplyDelete